How Much Money Do Truck Drivers Make?
Can you raise money right after truck driver training?You can start working right after you have finished your truck driving school, passed your DMV test successfully, and received a freshly-made CDL. However, your career path is merely starting there. Your actual profits will be affected by the following aspects:
- The class of CDL you got your professional truck driving training for. If you have a B-class license, the vehicles you are allowed to operate are restricted by their size and capacity. The most profitable CDL jobs require having an A-class license.
- Routes. Long and remote routes are a driver’s headache but they bring good checks for exactly this reason. If you are not afraid to drive far from home or struggle with icy roads, your courage will surely be rewarded.
- Specific skills and certificates. If you know something that your colleagues do not, like operating oversized cargo or how to approach hazmat hauling, you automatically become more valuable as a worker.
- Company type and unionization. Being in a union gives you protection and better job conditions. And some companies just care about their image and workers’ wellness more than others—if you found one, try to stay there.
- Skill and excellent driving record, and those will not come overnight. Basic skills you will get during your truck driver training but the real experience can be only earned on the road. And your driving record will mirror how fast you learn and how responsible you are—two things that your future employer will be interested in.
What CDL jobs are the most profitable?The truck-driving industry does not differ much from its peers in terms of approach to human resources. Skilled and responsible workers who strive to become better and are not afraid of additional liability will be sought-after and, therefore, can negotiate higher salaries. Let us see some examples:
- Driving in a private fleet or for a white-glove delivery company. These enterprises have incredibly high standards their workers need to comply with. You will also have to do better than your competition which is harsh for such positions. But working there is prestigious and profitable.
- Hauling hazmats, delicate, or oversized loads. This type of work requires additional skills and pretty specific knowledge, not just of driving, but also of the law.
- Company team driving. Having another driver paired up with you will allow you to cover longer routes in lesser time, thus, making more money. The job will demand some soft skills, however, and is not for those who want to stay close to home.
How to find a good truck driving school in the USA?If you are already determined to receive truck driver training and wonder what training facility should you choose, definitely check out Start CDL. This school guarantees you the best learning experience, and comfortable schedule, and will ensure you graduate a skilled and successful specialist. Some details on what Start CDL can promise you:
- Failing-proof training system. Since 2015, over 6,700 students have received their CDLs here, and you will not become the first exception. Unlike many schools, at Start CDL you proceed to exams when you are confident behind the wheel.
- Flexible training hours that provide you an opportunity to get as much practice as you need.
- Timetable, adaptable to your own needs. You can learn, work, and still squeeze sleep and free time somewhere in between.
- A budget hostel for students who live in another state (the school is located in Philadelphia, PA).
- Traning courses for both B and A CDL classes, manual and auto gearbox, plus renewal and upgrade when needed.
- Over 7 years of teaching and limitless dedication to helping you become a valuable job candidate.
- Contact Start CDL. You can do this with the help of their online contact form or a website chat, through socials, via an e-mail, or a plain phone call. Do not hesitate to ask any question that bothers you—the manager will be happy to help you.
- Begin and finish their training program.
- Pass a DMV exam. As we mentioned above, in Start CDL, you will not be pushed for the finals until you feel ready for this, so do not worry, you got this.
- Wait 10 to 14 days till your CDL is printed and pick it up in the mail or in person.
Frequently Asked Questions
Get fast answers to your most pressing questions about Start CDL.
How to get a CDL?
To start training, you will need the following documents:
You will need confirmation of your legal status. This may be citizenship, green card, or a work permit in the United States (work authorization, work visa). The following documents have to be valid and not expired.
Valid driver’s license (class C)
Medical card (Physical DOT card).
Truck Driving Permit (Learner’s Permit)
You can start training with a driver’s license and permit out of any state. After passing the exam in DMV, we will enter your data into a single federal system, and within 10-14 working days, you will receive your CDL by mail. In some states, you must come in person to get a CDL.
How long does the training take?
The preparation for the exam will take you about a month.
We want to make sure that every student gets the necessary time that he needs before he/she is ready for the final exam (DMV), so even if you are not confident in your abilities at any of the stages of training, you will continue your training until you ready.
Our students can study and improve their skills and confidence as much as they need. There is no time limit for the course or deadlines.
Our training center is different from the rest. We are responsible for your skills. Therefore we are ready to provide you with the maximum opportunities for their improvement.
We offer a flexible schedule that will allow you to keep working at your current job and continue training to get your CDL. With us, you are guaranteed to get the necessary knowledge, skills, and gain confidence before the exam.
Students from other states.
For all students from other states, we offer inexpensive hostel just a three-minute walk from our training center.
How to find a job after getting a CDL?
Our main goal is to get students to start working immediately after passing the exam and getting your CDL.
Start CDL Training stuff is always welcoming new students and gladly work with you until you graduate to a professional CDL driver! With us, you can easily get the necessary knowledge and skills to get your CDL and start your way to a high paying commercial driver career!
What to expect from this training program?
In accordance with the program, your training will be divided into seven stages. So what exactly will you learn at Start CDL Training?
Pre-trip inspection – preparation before departure, an inspection of truck and trailer, air brake system inspection, and air brake test.
2. Parallel parking to both sides(left to right and right to left)
3. Alley dock parking
4. City driving
5. Pre-test (Passing an internal exam)
6. Examination at the DMV (final exam)
In what language the exam and training usually conducted?
In 90% of the states, the exam is in English. In California, Washington, and Pennsylvania, you can take the PERMIT test in other languages, including Spanish, Russian, and Polish. In our center, classes are mainly in English and Russian.
There are also PRI TRIP studying material in Ukrainian, Georgian, Uzbek, Polish, Spanish, Hindi, Punjabi, Turkish.
What training programs do we offer?
Our training center offers three training programs to choose from:
CDL automatic gearbox (restricted to operating auto ONLY).
CDL manual gearbox (no restriction auto and manual).
Hourly course for professional drivers to upgrade from auto to manual or renew their CDL.
Important! After completing the auto transmission course and exam, your driver’s license will be restricted to driving a commercial vehicle with an automatic transmission ONLY!
After completing a manual course can drive a commercial vehicle with any gearbox. How to sign up for training? You will need to fill out a form. After filling out the form, our manager will contact you to confirm the information and set the date of the first lesson. Make sure to double-check the information you entered.